
It's 4:00pm - I'm at an internet cafe to purchase our flight from Bangkok to Singapore on Jan 3rd and Fran is currently getting a foot massage from a boutique beside our hotel - yeah, a 3o min. foot massage for the equivalent of $7 CDN; I'm sure you could find it cheaper but it's so convenient being attached to our hotel. Fran certainly earned the massage as we walked all day, taking in some amazing sights from a traditional Melekan community (houses on stilts & very unique style and colour), to a ancient buddhist temple, to the Bukit China (hill looking above Meleka with 1000's of ornate and sometimes ancient Chinese grave sites), to an ultra-deluxe mall and food court. Still a little 'off' from the jet lag, we went to bed last night at 8pm and woke up bright-eyed and ready to go at 5:30am. We drank some delicious coffee and watched the sunrise from the balcony just down the hall from our hotel room (see photo) before exploring a morning market we were looking down upon. I was totally impressed with Fran - she bought a traditional Malay breakfast dish - called Coconut Rice - but when she unwrapped the newspaper packaging, there was more than just coconut and rice: half a boiled egg, peanuts, little tiny fried fish, and hot sauce. Though she declined on the fish, she did eat the rest (I, by the way, was stuck with the tropical fish - they, along with the whole concoction, was much much better than I expected: salty, fried, and a touch fishy). In any case, it was miles better than our complimentary 'American Breakfast' which included undercooked eggs, cold white toast, and super-sweet OJ (the coffee was pretty good). That's all for now - were going to attend the chinese night market this evening, after having another fantastic meal. Take care everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment